
Day one:
After waking and reassessing a night of slightly drunken packing. Steve and I are satisfied that we have everything necessary to make our blitz through VT up into Montreal.
The "plan":
Wake up
Drive to Burlington
See scenery/go out to eat
Explore
find some cool people to take us in and give us a place to sleep.
Wake up the next day and make our way to Montreal
Mischief will ensue.
WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED
We arrive in Burlington to our delight and find it breathtaking. Even more simultaneously funky and quaint than we could have imagined. (At this point follow "The Plan" up until explore).
The trip began to get interesting until we realized that all but 2 students attending the University of Vermont were GONE. Not being 21 we aren't able to make any friends in the local bars. No Biggy. Steve and I decide to sleep in the car. It's cozy and we curl up in the back seat to a freshly bought copy of Garden State. After the movie we make ourselves ready for bed and attempt to get comfortable. 10 minutes into our exhausted slumber a knock on the window occurs.
"he--wh-canihelpyou?" I ask
"you guys can't sleep here?"
Steve and I look at eachother. We had thought this might happen.
"Guess we're goin to Canada!" Steve and I exclaim simultaneously.
Luke as it turns out the security guard's name was informed us that he was really sorry he had to kick us out but he hoped we would have a good time in canada. he began to leave but seemed to think to himself for a minute then returned and asked us....
"Hey...you guys goin to some strip clubs up there right? Well you should tell one of the girls to do a fiver."
I'll let you urban dictionary what a fiver is to get the picture.
We re-pack the car and at this point it's about 12 am.
Canadian border is reached at 1:30.
The next 3 and a half hours are spent driving through downtown Montreal nearly running down dozens of drunkards. and looking for somewhere to sleep. Desperate, we walked into virtually every hotel in the downtown area to learn that everywhere is full. exhausted and delirious our trusty TomTom leads us to a place called Motel Oscar.
80 dollars later Steve and I finally lay down our heads in a small, stained, and smoke-filled cavern of a motel room. As we are just passing out Steve asks if we should set an alarm for the morning. I say I don't know or care. I'm to busy listening to the russeling of a rat in the bathroom.

So I was thinking: it would be a really good idea to capture this russeling rat that you speak of inhabiting your motel bathroom. I think it would be kind of ammusing to bring him home in a small glass jar with little holes poked in the lid, so that you can shove him up the hole in your kitchen ceiling to give Larry some sort of a loving companion before he dies. Then we could listen to them try to make babies together in the wee hours of the night. Or they may try to kill eachother(Team Larry!). Either way, it would make for some interesting story swapping at the already fabulous parties we already attend.
ReplyDeleteI can just see the two of you; the bed is turned on its side to create a barrier between you and the enemy and both of you are covered in mud and charcoal to blend in with your stingy motely surroundings. Steve is holding a grenade made by his pure scientific brainpower and Tom is giving a play by play on this blog. And you are both wearing helmets. But not because of their obvious protective function, but because you guys think it looks cool. After a few intense hours of sleepless staring in the direction of the bathroom door, which has left the both of you completely stressed out and in serious need of some Clear Eyes, you somehow capture the rat with some sort of contraption, also made by Steve's brain. You continue on your adventure quest through Canada with a rat in a jar (kind of like a pig in a stick), that Tom names Peter Pettigrew and carries on his lap for the remainder of the road trip. The End.
You guys have a bitchin' time. I miss you already. Please come home home sans STDs (Tomas) and with my camera still in one piece (Steve). Love youss. Boa Viagem!